NTT Docomo is a unique mobile network operator as they provide not just consumer services but also do R&D, contribute to standards, provide integration services and also provides consultancy services for deploying private 5G networks in Japan, also known as local networks.
In a special article on 5G, Docomo explained their involvement and support for businesses interested in local 5G networks. The following is selected extracts from the article:
Since March 25, 2020, NTT DOCOMO has been providing Network Customization, a comprehen- sive consulting service for networks that supports 5G and other communication networks. Network Customization offers everything from area surveys to construction design and deployment assistance tailored to customer requirements.
The service consists of multiple network solutions and currently offers the following four menus:
(1) Wireless technology consultancy: The service accepts inquiries about issues related to overall networks and makes the best suggestions for customers, including general purpose network technologies such as LTE and Wi-Fi as well as DOCOMO 5G.
(2) Local 5G construction support: Based on its accumulated know-how, NTT DOCOMO supports customers who want to build local 5G for applications such as automated production lines aimed at eliminating labor shortages in factories, and provides support for applica- tions to ministries, area surveys and net- work equipment selection through to installation.
(3) Carry 5G: Provision of portable 5G base stations to create temporary 5G areas in a short period of time for live relay from event venues, etc.
(4) DOCOMO Open Innovation Cloud: Cloud services with Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC) features such as low latency and high security
Local 5G construction support is broadly divided into the following three types:
(1) Consulting/design for optimal antenna placement design, and research and examination of antenna mounting methods
(2) Selection, proposal and provision of network equipment to meet customer requirements
(3) Installation of network equipment and an- tennas, interference adjustment, and license application
Partial support also available according to customer requests, such as area design support only or license application support only.
With Local 5G, only the 28.2 to 28.3 GHz frequency band has been systemized, and is separate from the bands allocated to NTT DOCOMO, although the 4.6 to 4.9 GHz and 28.3 to 29.1 GHz bands are expected to become available by the end of 2020.
Although there are two types of local 5G configurations - NSA (Non-Stand Alone) and SA (Stand Alone) - only NSA configurations can be provided at this time.
Further details here.